Well, you will find out soon.
Many ice fishermen are turning their favorite hand auger into a powered auger using a cordless drill. This is not only a very efficient way to break the ice, but it also can be much more affordable than buying an expensive electric auger that you will only use a few times throughout the year.
By following our tips, your drill will be perfect ice auger drill! You don’t have to buy expensive ice auger drill if you are not using it often!
And now, it is time to find out: What is the best cordless drill for an ice auger?
Bosch 18-Volt Compact Tough Drill/Driver Kit DDB181-02 with 2 Lithium Ion Batteries, 18V Charger, and Soft Carry Contractor Bag
This is a very compact and lightweight drill. Its 18V power drill driver and it weighs only 3 lbs which is ideal for optimal handling.
Lightweight design will make your job easier since it provides you more efficiency but less fatigue. It has 350 inches/ lbs of optimized torque for fast and 1300 rpm for efficient and fast power drilling. With two speed transmissions, you can choose the option for heavy duty projects or for fast and easy jobs. This provides you optimized torque and efficiency. It has LED lights which can be very helpful if working in dark areas.
- Bosch DDB181-02 is a good option for ice auger because it is lightweight, it`s very durable and the battery life is very good when it`s out working on the water.
- Key features:
- Very compact 18-Volt drill/driver for optimal handling in tight spaces
- The drill/driver weighs only 3 lbs.
- High torque and speed: 350 inch/ lbs. of torque for powerful fastening and 1300 RPM for fast power drilling
- LED light illuminates dark work spaces
- 2 speed transmission
- Motor brake for precise screw driving
- Flexible battery system is compatible with all Bosch 18-Volt lithium-ion batteries
- Electronic cell protection increases battery lifetime
Makita XFD061 18V LXT Lithium-Ion COMPACT Brushless Cordless 1/2 Driver-Drill Kit (3.0Ah)
This is brushless model with lithium-ion batteries. It has 530 inch/lbs torque and brushless motor delivers up to 50% more work per charge, increased power and speed and what is very important longer tool life. This tool will give you more drilling power, greater productivity and long lasting batteries.
It weighs only 3.8 lbs with batteries, which gives you comfort. This model is an excellent choice for ice auger because it`s powerful, lightweight and has excellent batteries. It is also important to know, that this model is compatible with 18V LXT lithium-ion batteries from the fast charging batteries for longer run time.
Built-in dual LED lights with afterglow will help you to finish your job even if it`s in dark areas. All metal gears and gear housing for maximum job site durability. Batteries feature an integrated LED battery charge level indicator.
This model has improved dust and water resistance for operation in harsh job site conditions thanks to the Extreme Protection Technology (XPT).
- Mechanical 2-speed transmission for a wide range of drilling and fastening applications
- Brushless motor delivers 530 inches/ lbs. of max torque
- An efficient brushless motor is electronically controlled to optimize battery energy use for up to 50% longer run time per charge
- It has improved dust and water resistance for operation in harsh job site conditions thanks to the Extreme Protection Technology (XPT).
- It has compact and ergonomic design at only 7-1/4 in.
- Weighs only 3.8 lbs. with battery for reduced operator fatigue
- Rubberized soft grip handle provides increased comfort on the job
- Built-in dual LED lights with afterglow will help you to finish your job even if it`s in dark areas
- 18-Volt LXT lithium-ion 3.0Ah battery features an integrated LED battery charge level indicator
- Equipped with star protection computer controls to protect against overloading, over-discharging and over-heating
- 3-year limited warranty on tool, battery and charger
DEWALT DCD791D2 20V MAX XR Li-Ion 0.5″ 2.0Ah Brushless Compact Drill/Driver Kit
This is 20V, ½ inch compact driver/drill kit. It features brushless motor which gives you up to 57% more run time.
Another benefit for working on ice is that this model features XR Li-Ion batteries with fuel gauge which provide 33% more capacity. Another thing that is very useful when using this tool on ice is that it`s very compact, lightweight and durable.
It features 2-speed high transmission, for faster application speed and ergonomic comfort grip for balance and tool control. The drill is offering you 3-mode LED light mode that features 20 minutes shut-off function.
Kit includes: BL Compact Drill / Driver, two batteries XR 2.0AH Battery Packs, a charger, Kit Box, and Belt Hook.
- Compact, lightweight design for tight spaces
- High speed transmission with 2-speed settings
- 3-Mode LED lights with a spotlight mode
- This model weight is 3.5 pounds
- Warranty Description: 3 year limited warranty
Hitachi DS18DBFL2 18V Cordless Lithium Ion Brushless Driver Drill (Includes Two 1.5Ah Batteries)
This cordless drill will give you everything what we mentioned as important facts to look if you want to use your drill on ice.
It has an ergonomic design which makes it extremely well-balanced and comfortable for extended use. The brushless motor will give you the great benefit considering that new technology minimizes unnecessary energy loss through friction and heat.
It has even 22 torque settings for precision and control based on the application. It is lightweight. And compact. The good thing is the included two batteries, but for ice auger, we advise you to purchase at least 4 Ah batteries, for the efficient job.
- Key features:
- This model has brushless motor which provides higher efficiency, increased run time and longer tool life
- Professional grade power with 620 inch/lbs of turning torque
- 22 torque settings for precision and control based on the application
- It features ½ ” keyless metal chuck for quick and simple bit replacements and secure holding power
- It features optical trigger switch for approachable variable speed actuation and wear resistant trigger assembly
- This model has built-in LED light effectively illuminates dark work spaces
How to Turn Your Drill into An Ice Auger?
The question is how to turn your drill into an ice auger?
- Choose good adapter:
For example, Clam Drill Auger Conversion Kit is a great adapter to connect your auger to your drill. This model has the handlebars which give you the ability to put some weight on the auger as it drills, helping it to work more efficiently and preventing the drill from entering the water if you break through the ice suddenly.
- Choose A Good Blade:
After selecting a good adapter, next thing to choose is blades. You can choose between Mora and Lazar blade. Mora is a larger size than the Lazer but Lazer blade is what we recommend because they tend to cut the ice more easily, causing less stress on your drill. Why is this important? Because this affects the overall life of your drill and your battery life as well. More efficient your drill can go through the ice, the less battery it will consume and you will be able to drill more holes.
Don’t water damage your drill – avoid warranty issues
Well, first always make sure to use your tool properly. There is a very small number or no tools which are safe from water.
When purchasing your tool, make sure to check what type of paper are you receiving and what it covers.
A warranty usually provides cover for the unexpected failure or breakage of goods, after the manufacturer’s or trader’s guarantee has run out.
But make sure to save your tool from water, because there is no warranty or guarantee for this.
Batteries for cold weather
We know that the place where we are going to use our drill is a very cold place. Temperature plays a massive role in how well the battery is able to fulfill its purpose. During the cold weather, the batteries won’t charge properly, or simply don’t work, when exposed to very cold temperatures! This is an issue particularly with alkaline batteries, but for lithium-ion tools also.
You can struggle to get lithium-ion batteries to charge, and the charger may even refuse to charge them!
But we can say that the best performance on cold weather defiantly has Lithium-ion batteries.
Here are some tips for improving the performance of your batteries:
- The battery generates heat internally when they’re put to use. So, make sure the battery is warm enough to accept a charge by putting it in your drill and spin the chuck. Quick use will generate heat within the battery, taking it to within the safe charging threshold.
- Keep batteries in your pockets. When you’re working outside in the cold, it will be good to take your battery out of the tool between applications and put it in your pocket. Your body heat will help keep the cells warm enough, preventing the colder air temperature from putting them to sleep.
- Don’t leave batteries outside overnight. The best will be to purchase a bag and put your batteries into it at the end of the day. Put your batteries at home overnight, preventing the packs from experiencing a chilly night.
- Use gel hand warmers. These are really inexpensive, but very useful. Activate the gel first and put it on the tool case when you get outside. The warmth from the hand warmer will keep the inside of the tool case worm when you’re working on freezing cold job sites. Repeat this every day.
- Use the right batteries. Be aware that batteries are very important in completing your job. Be careful because there are a lot of imitation lithium-ion batteries for each manufacturer. Use original batteries with your cordless tools. And always have spare batteries! A lot of them! The more batteries you have, the less the cold weather will be an issue for you!
Let’s go with brushless
Why is brushless motor better option for you?
People are saying that brushless motor adjusts according to the task. That’s why tools with the brushless motor are also famous as smarter tools.
For example, if you’re using a brushless drill to drive screws into Styrofoam, it senses the lack of resistance and begins to pull only what little charge it needs from the battery.
If you are using tool for putting 3-inch screws into mahogany, it will adjust accordingly and draw more current.
A brushless tool is a tool with greater efficiency and more durable motors. And an ideal choice for working in cold weather!
Some additional advice
20V cordless drill will be your perfect choice. What is also important is that the drill has a good chuck because as drills get older their chucks start to slip. This does not work well with the Ice master adapter.
Minimum torque of 500 pounds…the higher the better…obviously
As we said; the higher torque the better drill!
Beside battery, torque is another very important factor for the drill. A simple explanation of torque is that it is the amount of twisting power that can one can apply to the cordless drill.
Some of the best drills use gears, which allow you to adjust the torque to the job that you are doing.
Drilling through softwood need high speed but low torque while for screwing hard materials, including ice, you need low speed but high torque.
Make sure that your cordless drill for ice auger have at least 500 pounds of torque if you want to drill a lot of holes through the ice!
Large capacity batteries
Many drills will be sold with 1.5 or 2.0ah batteries. Those won’t get you very far. The minimum that you should purchase is of 4ah.
Hammer drills are necessary?
Are they? Many people will say that what you need for ice auger is a perfect hammer drill. Well, they have higher torque ratings and will typically have beefier gearing inside of them but besides this, there are no greater advantages of hammer drills. Just a drill will be a good choice as well.
If you decide to purchase hammer drill, make sure to do following:
- You must not in any way use hammer option! Make sure that your hammer drill is set to drill when you start making holes.
- Set drill at low speed. The lower speed is an option that you always choose for heavy-duty jobs.
- Crank the torque setting way up-more torque is a better option, and for heavy-duty tasks, we choose more torque and low speed.
- Make sure your blades are sharp-this is very important to check before planning to go fishing.
Understand blade types…which ones are aggressive, which ones are not as aggressive
For ice auger purposes you can choose between Mora and Lazer blades.
The Lazer blade has wider and more of a curved blade. Replacement blades are more expensive for the Lazer. The biggest advantage of the Lazer over the Mora is you can open old holes with the Lazer.
A Lazer with Swiss or Sweden blades will out cut the Mora 2 to 1. We underline Swiss/Sweden, because a lot of the strike master products come with china blades now. You need the ones that are Swiss/Sweden blades if you want quality. Avoid cheap china blades!
Pair the drill with a bit that will not kill the drill. A 500lb drill turning a 10 inch bit isn’t a good idea. You’ll kill the drill. If you want bigger holes you’ll need a drill with more torque.
We tried to complete your decision when asking yourself what is the best cordless drill for ice auger.
When using your tool properly, you won’t have any unexpected issues on site! So, use your tool properly, and use it carefully!