A friend of mine works as a contractor, and when he talks about his situations at the site I can tell you that mostly he is telling us how efficient his tools are, which tool surprised him and which one disappointed him.
Any contractor should be aware of one thing; how efficient you will be, depends on your skills but also the tools you are using. If you are working as a contractor you will know that finding the best, most reliable and durable tool is clearly a very important thing to do. Equally as important is that it represents good value for money.
A cordless drill, for many in the construction industry, is a vital tool to have. But knowing which one is best for the jobs you have planned out (or is actually worth your money) can be hard to figure out. That’s why our team has done some research.
Whether you need tons of power, a long battery life, or something super easy to carry around with you – we have your back! We have chosen a wide range of products that can fit every budget, and what is more important will do the job on site.
We are here to save your time and money and to help you to become a successful contractor!
We can say that the best cordless drill for constructors is an 18v drill machine because it shows good performance even during heavy-duty works. It is lightweight and so is very convenient to use for a long time without causing any fatigue.
Our five top choices:
Bosch GSR 36 VE-2-LI Cordless Drill / bare tool / battery and charger not included
This is36 V tool and it is very powerful. The maximum drilling diameter in wood is 102mm and in steel is 16mm. The screw diameter is 12mm.
Extremely powerful device: 100 Nm for the toughest screwdriver and drilling applications – even screws up to 8 x 280 mm in softwood in 2nd gear
More than 50% longer battery life thanks to the new 4.0 Ah batteries with Bosch Cool Pack (compare 36 V / 2.6 Ah)
Perfect control of the device thanks to the Electronic Rotation Control (ERC) system – recognizes the rapid blocking and turns off the device
Built-in LED light with backlight function for illumination of the work area, and in dark places
This model features an additional temperature sensor that protects the motor against overload and ensures a long lifetime.
- The type of motor is EMP with additional temperature sensor – protects the motor against overload and ensures a long lifetime
- This model has cool pack batteries which ensure optimum heat dissipation and therefore increase lifetime by up to 100%
- LED light with afterglow function for illuminating the work area, even in dark places
- 100Nm torque easily drives 8 x 280 screws into softwood in only second gear
- It features control handling which shuts down tool upon sensing sudden bit jams
- It has electronic motor protection (EMP) for protection against motor overload for a long performance lifetime
Bosch 18-Volt Cordless Drill Driver / Impact Combo Kit with 2 Batteries, 18V Charger and Blue Carrying Case with 2.0 AH battery
Cordless drill and driver provide innovative 18 Volt canned motor that’s more compact with the same torque as other 18 Volt power tools.
Both tools are lightweight and have a compact design. The weight is only 3.5 lbs which makes it the perfect tool for overhead drilling. Included batteries are compatible with all Bosch 18-Volt Lithium-Ion tools and chargers. These tools will provide you with the needed power for your construction work.
- It features canned motor for more compact but the same power
- Powerful motor for all-day productivity with 600 In.-Lbs. of torque
- It weighs only 3.5 Lbs. and is only 7.0 In. long
- Better gripping and greater comfort with ergonomic grip zone with small diameter
- Exceptional control for variable drilling speeds for high speed and high torque
- Keyless 1/2 Inch chuck enables one-handed bit changes
- Electronic Motor Protection (EMP) system for longer life in tool, protects it from overload
- LED light for visibility in dark work areas
- 3-year warranty
Makita XFD10R 18V Compact Lithium-Ion Cordless 1/2″ Driver-Drill Kit
This model delivers power and has great performance. It has compact size, with a fast-charging battery for less downtime. Also features a 4-pole motor that delivers 480 inch/lbs. maximum torque and 25% more speed than the previous model. The tool has a compact and ergonomic design with less weight and greater balance for reduced operator fatigue.
It features a rubberized soft grip which increases job comfort. The LED light illuminates the job area for applications in dark spaces. With Extreme Protection Technology (XPT), the drill is engineered for improved water and dust resistance for operation in harsh job site conditions.
- 4-pole motor delivers 480 inches/ lbs. of Max Torque
- It features mechanical 2-speed transmission for a wide range of drilling and driving applications
- Extreme Protection Technology (XPT) is engineered to provide increased dust and water resistance in harsh job site conditions
- Dual LED lights with afterglow illuminate the work area
- Rubberized soft grip handle provides increased comfort on the job
- Weighs only 3.3 lbs. with battery for reduced operator fatigue
- Compact and ergonomic design at only 7-1/4 in. long
- Metal ratcheting chuck engineered to prevent bit slippage and improves bit retention
- Equipped with star protection computer controls to protect against overloading, over-discharging, and over-heating
- 3-year limited warranty
DEWALT DCK240C2 20v Lithium Drill Driver/Impact Combo Kit (1.3Ah) with FlexTorq Screw Driving Set, 40-Piece
This black and yellow tool is very lightweight, designed to fit the user’s needs. This set includes 20V, ¼ inch Impact driver, very compact and lightweight (only 2.8lbs), it fits perfectly in tight areas. The impact driver has ¼ inch hex chuck which accepts 1 inch bit tips. It features an LED light ring, which has an option for 20 seconds delay for better visibility without shadows. What is added for greater portability on site is a belt hook and highs speed transmission with 2 speeds for a range of fastening and drilling jobs.
The ½ ” single-sleeve ratcheting chuck provides tight bit gripping strength, and this model also has the ergonomic handle which gives you comfort and control.
Both tools are compatible with all 20-Volt MAX batteries, chargers and accessories. This set includes 1pcs of DCF885 Impact Driver, and 1pcs of DCD771 20v Max Lithium Drill/Driver, 2pcs of 20-Volt Maximum lithium-ion 1.3Ah battery packs, 1pcsof 20-Volt Maximum charger and contractor bag.
- DCD771- Drill/driver has high performance motor which delivers 300 Uni (UWO) of power for completing a wide range of applications
- High-speed transmission with 2 speeds -0-450 RPM and 0-1500 RPM for a range of fastening and drilling applications
- 1/2 in. single sleeve ratcheting chuck provides tight bit-gripping strength
- DCF885 Impact driver- has handed loading of 1/4 inch and hex chuck accepts 1 inch bit tips
- It features LED light ring with 20-second delay to provide visibility without shadows
- 3-year limited warranty
Makita CT226 12V Max CXT Lithium-Ion Cordless Combo Kit, (2 Piece)
With this set you will receive professional power and speed in an ultra-compact size.This model offers you two ideal additions to any tool box or tool belt. The CT226 Drill/Driver includes cordless solutions for drilling, driving, and fastening. It is very compact 2-speed driver/drill that weights only 2.8 lbs. and delivers 250 inch/lbs of max torque.
The Impact driver weighs only 2.3 lbs. and delivers 970 inches/lbs max torque for driving and fastening. If you need a more compact tool than this set is ideal for you! It is lightweight and very good for tight space applications.
This set includes: 1 Cordless driver/drill, 1 Impact driver, 2 batteries, a charger and a bag for the tools.
- Driver/drill has 2-speed options/ 0-450 and 0-1,700 RPM, which delivers up to 250 inch/lbs. of Max Torque
- Driver-Drill features a compact design which weighs only 2.8 lbs. with battery for reduced operator fatigue
- Impact Driver features with variable speed of 0-2,600 RPM and 0-2,400 IPM which delivers up to 970 inch/lbs. of Max Torque
- Impact Driver features a compact design and it weighs only 2.3 lbs. with battery for reduced operator fatigue
- Ergonomically designed handles with rubberized soft grips provide increased comfort
- 3-year warranty
Ask yourself these questions
Now, let`s talk about what is important for you to look before purchasing your must have tool!
Will it do the job?
When you are buying any tool, including a drill, the important thing is to be sure that it has enough power to do the job you need. You can imagine the problems that may come if you discover after purchasing the drill that it does not have enough power.
When buying a cordless drill, you are actually paying for battery size, rpm, and torque. So, these are the main three things, among others, that you should look before making the final decision.
Have in mind that you will use your tool day by day for big jobs, and for this reason, you need a drill that gets the work done quickly and with accuracy.
Is the battery going to last?
For cordless tools, the most important thing to look at is size, quality, power and charging time of batteries. How long your drill will run, depends on the battery.
Many contractors will agree that the invention of cordless drills made their life easier, especially after Li-ion batteries. The cordless tool with lithium-ion battery is a completely great replacement for the corded tool. They give you complete satisfaction because they have a very long run time, and with spare batteries, you can be sure that you will complete your everyday tasks with no problem.
What is also very important to look at is power. We can tell you for sure that a 12V drill is not a tool for contractors! What you need for the scope of the work you will do day by day is 18 or even 20V drill.
The next thing to look after power is; how long the charge will last in a battery and finally how long it takes to charge one? Something else worth considering is can you use the battery in other power tools as that can save you money? It is great benefits of buying bare tools and having a couple of appropriate batteries and a fast charger.
Will it work in dusty and dirty places?
Make sure that the tool you choose will work in dusty and dirty places. Some drills are sensitive to dust and dirt and may stop working.
The right drill for the right job
If you want to know what is the best cordless drill for contractors, you must first know what for will you use the drill? Will you be drilling into concrete or just wood? Will you need to drive small screws into softwoods, or large construction screws into hardwoods? So, what is the best type of drill or driver for the job?
Here is where it gets better: We can say that there are three categories of drills: Combi Drill, Drill Driver and Impact Driver.
Combi drills have the ability to drill holes into wood and metal, to drive screws to drill holes into concrete and masonry via hammer function.
Normally a combi drill will offer at least two, but sometimes three, speeds:
- Low speeds are mostly good for hi-torque applications such as screw driving
- Higher speeds are perfect for applications such as drilling metal or wood
Combo drill is useful for more robust applications, make sure to choose the drill that’s very well made, with a metal chuck or metal gearbox.
Drill drivers are perfect tools with two functions:
- to drill holes into wood and metal
- to drive screws
Drill drivers are equipped with two speeds and multiple torque settings, the torque isn’t as high as that found on either a combi drill or an impact driver.
The battery which is supplied with the tool is also important. The higher the rate of Ah the longer the drill will run between charges.
Impact drivers are essentially designed to drive screws into tough workpieces. However, with the correct bit fitted, you can also undertake some drilling applications.
They have hex chuck which is a quick-release style mechanism that differs from the chucks found on combi and drill drivers. An impact driver will produce higher levels of torque than even the top combi drill.
Light maintenance and repair
You can use a cordless drill for many different light maintenances and repairs. You can drill holes into door frames, reattach handles to a wardrobe, assemble furniture, put new handles on cabinet doors and drawers, remove and replace door hinges.
For light work jobs, you don’t need a big tool. A tool with one battery, two speeds, and an adjustable clutch will do just fine!
Repair and Remodeling
If you need to do repairs and remodeling this is the right tool for you. With a cordless drill, you can build a storage rack, replace deck railings and fence pickets, drill pilot holes and drive screws in hardwood or plywood, make furniture…
For this type of work 12V drill will be good enough. Have in mind that more power, bigger tool.
Heavy Duty Construction Work
Hard work includes drilling holes for bolts in pressure-treated wood and landscape timbers; drilling holes in masonry walls; installing decking; drilling into steel.
These projects especially drilling large-diameter holes and driving long screws demand a high-voltage 18-20V tool. This voltage is ideal for constructors.
Ease of use
As you already know, you will be using drill day by day, all day long. For this reason, you must choose the one which will be easy for you to use it. Some of the important things to look about are battery features, ergonomics and weight.
Battery durability and features
This is important because you are probably planning to use your tool without the trouble of charging the batteries very often. Guess what, many tools on the market has long-lasting batteries, with a lot of running hours with only one charge.
What to look when buying tools with batteries?
The cycle life
This will tell you how long the battery will last and work efficiently. The average life cycle is 800-1000 charges and after that, it is not worth to charge it. Your batteries can live and last longer if you store them and use them properly.
Self-discharge is very important to understand. Batteries lose charge when you are not using them. But, the main thing is how fast they lose charge? The Lithium-Ion style of battery is the best type as they hold their charge really well and Ni-Cad batteries are well-known for not holding their charge for long
There are different sizes of batteries and you can choose between:
- 7-12 volts for light work
- 12-18 volts for medium types of work
- 18-36 volts for the heavy-duty types of work
18V was the most popular choice but recently that trend has changed and is now the 20V battery, simply because it offers additional power.
Capacity and Run Time
Well, contractors and professionals know that this is the most important characteristic for them. Serious drill users will always need to have a battery that can give them the most use. They are willing to pay additional money to get this extra battery life.
Lithium-Ion batteries don’t have memory effect, but other types do. Batteries do remember at what point they are discharged and charged to. Over time that remembered part of the battery stops charging and the overall charging capacity of the battery reduces until it becomes jobless.
This includes the design of the tool. Most of the producers are offering ergonomic design as the main advantage. You can choose the design that works best for you.
Weight is one of the most important things to look because as a constructor you will be using your drill all day long. Tools with Lithium-ion batteries are much lighter than tools with other types of batteries.
I hope we helped you to find out what is the best cordless drill for contractors.
Make sure to make the right choice and enjoy your successful work. But make sure to follow the safety instructions and wear safety glasses and gloves.